Welcome to the NMS chemical and biological metrology website. Please log in
to view restricted content.
Project G1 - Emission Gases
The aim of this project is to underpin the requirements of UK industry, the stack testing community and regulators for traceable measurements of emission level gases (including vehicle emissions) in order to ensure compliance with present and future EU Directives.
The objectives of the project are:
- To provide capability for existing national standards and facilities for the supply of gaseous binary and multi-component emission level standards.
- To ensure the demonstrable international acceptability of UK standards through the CIPM MRA for emission level gases.
- To provide traceable and internationally-recognised gas standards to underpin the requirements for MOT emission tests and to support the UK vehicle testing industry (through the BTC) in improving their exhaust gas sampling and analysis methods.
- To provide traceable and internationally-recognised gas standards to underpin the requirements for UK breath alcohol measurements to ensure compliance with present and future UK legislation.
- To extend the scope of NPL’s binary gas flow dilutor technology to facilitate the delivery of standards at ‘non decade’ values.
- Publication of a paper entitled 'Calibration transfer strategy to compensate for instrumental drift in portable quadrupole mass spectrometers'.
- Publication of a paper entitled 'Modernising the SI: towards an improved, accessible and enduring system'.
Last modified on
07 March 2012.